As you know, at Clocktimizer, we’re all about making data-driven decisions, especially when it comes to how we improve the platform. We have relied heavily on our customers to tell us about how they use Clocktimizer in the past, and while we still want to hear that from you, we also want to collect this information automatically.
Benefits of API Usage tracking:
- Leverage advanced usage data for internal decision making and reporting,
- Help us prioritize feature development and improvements,
- Allows us to spot excess load times,
- In the future, we will build on the API to automatically warn us of errors before they affect end-users and help us be more proactive.
When API usage reporting is enabled in the portal, the following data will be sent to Clocktimizer on a weekly basis.
Number of email reports sent, email report success or failure rate, number of unique email recipients per week, number of warnings on budgets, link type of budget, number of reports saved from the drilldown, recurring report data, number of inactive/active reports, number of deleted reports, number of reports per section of Clocktimizer.
Accounts per role type, duration of usage/section per role, duration of time waiting for any page to load.
- System information, total memory, unique string values.
- Total number of timecards, matters, matter histories, and employees.
What we do not collect:
- Timecard content such as narratives, values, names,
- Matter, client or employee names or numbers
- Report content
How to implement:
In order to set up the API usage tracking you will need access to the Clocktimizer portal, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org in order to set this up.
Once you have access to portal.clocktimizer.com, log in and follow the steps below for the initial setup:
- Click on "Environments", and click on the appropriate environment (there may only be one if you run Clocktimizer in the cloud. If you run Clocktimizer on-premise choose your Production environment, not staging/test), then click "Environment configuration"
- On this page, scroll down to "External systems" and find "Network", next to this click "Not configured" and click on "Create new configuration"
- This will redirect you to the "Network configuration" page automatically (if you need to find this page again you can use the search bar on the top left or go to "Other settings", "Network configurations", "Configs", and "Network configuration")
- Click "New Token", give the token a name (anything is fine), and you can decide to set an expiration date for the token or choose Never, then press "Ok"
- A token will be downloaded to your computer,
- Next, head into your Clocktimizer (if on-premise: production) environment, log in, and click "Admin"
- Under "Settings" click on "Portal integration"
- Click "Choose file" and click on the token that you downloaded from the portal
- Lastly, click "Upload key", you'll now see the list of Current API tokens.
How to remove:
Tokens can be removed directly within Clocktimizer by clicking the "Delete key" button, or from the Clocktimizer portal by navigating back to the "Network configuration" options and clicking "Token List".
Follow along with the steps in this video below: