Need an easy way to track monthly or quarterly budgets for a single matter or group of matters? Look no further!
This guide will walk you through the steps to set up the budget below:
- Head to "Budgets"
- Click "Create a new budget"
- In this menu we'll set a few things that can vary for your purposes, but first give your budget a name, and choose the value on which you would like to set threshold based warnings (i.e. "Tracked by Recorded Value")
- Depending on how you want the budget to look, you can set the boxes marked below appropriately. To match the example: set the category to "Year" (marked yellow), set the subcategory to "Quarter" (marked blue below), and set a date range with an open end date (marked orange).
- Press "Save" when you're ready to move into the budget,
- From here you can either add your matter(s) by clicking "Link budget", or add the years and quarters that you're planning to budget for.
a. To add the years and quarters first, add "2021" and "2022" by clicking and typing in the "Search for Year" box at the bottom (marked in green below), then press Add:
b. Then under the first year (2021), click in the box (marked red), and add "2021Q1", Q2, Q3, Q4, then press "Add to all categories"
- Now you can add amounts budgeted amounts per quarter one by one, or all at once.
- For example, click "Bulk Edit", click "Set values" and input the quarterly budget limit.
Tracking & updating rolling budgets
Now that the budget has been created, the reports can be set up to track a real matter. You can attach the matter(s) at any time by clicking "Link budget" at the top.
- Click on the envelope icon at the top right of the budget page,
- Depending on the frequency of the updates, set this recurring email update to send on a recurring basis such as weekly, monthly, quarterly, or otherwise.
For clients where the firm has agreed that any remaining budget from one period will be passed over to the following period, the budgeted values can be updated quarter by quarter in this case. For example:
- Here is an example of how the budget may look at the end of Q3, the budget to actual numbers show that there is around 13,000 remaining in the 2020 Q2 budget.
- Which means when that quarter closes we can move the remaining budget to the following quarter, as is shown below: